Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Days that Count


My 6 year old grandson, Ethan, is fascinated with calendars. Actually, he loves anything with numbers. Ethan has Aspberger's Syndrome. It's a very high functioning form of autism that sometimes includes a level of excellence; even perhaps genius in some cases. We don't know for sure how smart Ethan is, but this 6 year old can add and subtract almost anything. Time will tell how far he will go mathmatically. At his young age, I don't thing Ethan really connects the significance of what those numbers on the calendar mean. They are just numbers. I love calendars too, but mainly for the artwork and the ability to write down something which will surely slip my 5o -something mind if not recorded properly. But you know, I've been doing a lot of thinking about what those numbers on my new Norman Rockwell calendar really represent. They are more than just squares with appointments hastily scribbled in them. They are 24 hour sections of time. And something important will happen on each one of those days. I don't know what, for sure. But God does. Ecclesiastes says that there is a time and a purpose to every thing under heaven. And I wonder to myself, what is the purpose for January 9th, 2009? For some it will be significant; noted by births, deaths, marriages, and the like. For others it will seem mundane; just another day. Moses prayed that God would teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. (Psalms 90:12) Does this mean to just put another X on the calendar? No, I don't believe so. I think we are supposed to look for the purpose in each day. Our purpose. I wasn't here in the 1800's. It wasn't God's plan for me to be here until now. I am part of that grand purpose; this is my time, right now! Those squares on the calendar are a gift from God. I don't want to squander a precious moment. I'm so grateful that I am here; and that you are here with me. Let's not just count our days; Let's make our days count in 2009.
***

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...