Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, November 16, 2008



WHAT A BARGAIN!


This adorable Christmas teapot only cost me $12! Guess where I found it? No, not at the thrift store, the church bazaar or my neighbor's garage sale... I got it at THE HOSPITAL!!! I was visiting a sick relative and popped into the gift shop for a quick peek. It was just full of very pretty, inexpensive gifts. There were lovely starflake ornaments, snowman mugs, stuffed toys, fuzzy slippers, and well, just all kinds of neat things. And since most hospital (and nursing home) gift shops are staffed by volunteers, the prices are appreciably lower. If your gift budget is really tight, this might be a great shopping option for you. And lest I forget to mention it; you could pop into the hospital's cafeteria for a bite to eat while you're there. I know what you're thinking..."Hospital food...Yuck!" But it's really not too bad. I got an eggnote latte and a donut for only $3.50. This reminds me of years ago, when Grand-dad (Kelly's grandfather), used to pop by and invite us out for lunch. When we agreed, he'd say, "Meet me at the hospital." At first I thought we were going to meet there to carpool to some restaurant or maybe to visit a sick friend before we ate. Well it turns out that we were meeting there to eat in the cafeteria! Kelly and I used to chuckle about this; quipping that we were going to have the "Triple Bypass Special", or the "Kidney Failure Dessert". We never let Grand-dad know how odd we thought this was. The truth is, we really enjoyed these times with him, and now that he's gone; they have become part of the cherished collection of memories that we have of him. So here I am, advising you to shop and eat at the hospital. Well, laugh if you will, but give it a try! If your Grandfather is still around, take him along. You're bound to have a very pleasant afternoon, the kind memories are made of!

***

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...