Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Planned-overs

One of the most stressful times of my week is Monday, around 5 pm after I get home from work. This is when I stand in my kitchen looking around helplessly as I try to figure out what to cook for dinner. I go grocery shopping every weekend, but at that moment, it feels like there is nothing worth cooking and I am most tempted to go out for dinner. Well, in order to save myself the hassle of cooking after a long Monday; and to save my pocketbook (and waistline) the cost of eating out; I've resolved to cook something on the weekend that can be easily reheated on Monday. Last weekend I threw a pot roast into the crockpot with some veggies. I just had to add a salad and we were good to go for Monday (not to mention sandwiches for a few days.) This was a special treat, because as a rule, Kelly and I don't eat red meat. So this weekend I cooked an 18 lb turkey. We invited some family members over for a Saturday night meal and had a wonderful time! Today we had leftover turkey, potatoes, and stuffing; tomorrow we'll have turkey dips and salad for dinner. You know, in one of my favorite books, "The Seven Pillars of Health", Dr. Don Colbert identifies stress as a major contributor to disease and stress in our modern world. He talks about giving ourselves some margin.
Margin is simply adding some room to the edges of our life. It might be leaving for work earlier; taking time for a leisurely walk, or having a heart to heart talk with your children or spouse; or, in my case, cooking enough today so that I don't have to cook tomorrow. I challenge you today, to start identifying stressors in your life, and find ways to build in a 'margin.' And if you have some great recipes for planned-overs, (especially vegetarian or fish and chicken based) let me know! Wow; this was a great weekend; and I think I'm going to enjoy Monday too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...