Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Seed-Time and Harvest


"While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." Genesis 8:22
Kelly and I planted a new vegetable garden this weekend. This round, raised garden spot was formerly a flower bed, created by Ivy, the previous owner. There's an old stump in the middle of it. Rather than deal with the hassle of removing the stump, she built a flower bed around it. As you can see in the background, our yard is surrounded by fir trees and quite shady. The round flower bed is in the sunniest location on the lot. And since I've been hankering to plant some herbs and veggies, we set about to move all of the flowers to other locations and create this garden. Planting a round vegetable garden presents some interesting challenges. Number one was, 'how do we create rows?' I looked on the web and found only a few circular gardens. The one that appealed to me the most was divided into pie-shaped wedges. So we cut our veggie-pie garden into eight equal pieces and planted the rows from the center to the edge. Each row begins at the same spot and will spread out as they reach the bottom. Because the old stump sits smack in the middle of the pie, we decided to set our bird fountain there. I'm toying with the idea of putting some potted marigolds into the fountain, rather than water. Or maybe some trailing blue lobelia, to look like water cascading over the edges! (Since I can't run my fountain's little pump without electricity, I find that the water sitting in it becomes stagnant and attracts wasps--cause I'm just too lazy to change it often enough!) I'm so pleased with how this project has turned out so far. Can't wait to make some nice fresh basil pesto and fresh salads!
***

1 comment:

Joey said...

Oh, Debora, I haven't been keeping up with your blog...I totally love the new garden. What a brilliant idea! Lobelia cascading down from the fountain would be perfect.
We're enjoying some fresh basil from our greenhouse -- but it's still too cold to set plants out here at 'the end of the road'.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...