Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Gathering of the Clans


The MacKinnon Clan Crest:
Fortune Assists
the Daring.













































We attended the Highland Games on Saturday. As a great-grand-daughter of Alexander Laughlin Mckinnon (on mothers side), I have more than a passing interest in all things Scottish. Even as a little girl, whenever the bagpipes passed by in a parade, I'd get a lump in my throat and all misty-eyed.
Mom was Scotch and English on her mother Lydia's side, Dutch on her father, Walter's side. The McKinnons, according to mom, were a lively clan. They were a lyrical, musical bunch who loved to sing, dance, and laugh. Grandpa's side, in contrast, were serious, hard-working, and religious--steady and responsible. When the folks migrated west from Michigan where many of the Mckinnons lived, to Lynden, Washington, a Dutch community (and still is a largely Dutch community), mom was miserable. She longed for her Scottish kin.
I love both of my heritages; though I must admit; when faced with the dilemma of whether to attend Highland Days or Holland Heritage Days (both being celebrated last Saturday), I chose former. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to kick up my heels and do a little jig with the Wicked Tinkers! And yes the drone of the pipes at the gathering of the clans still brings a tear to the eye!

BTW: The crest depicted above is that of my clan- Mackinnon. The slogan is "Fortune Assists the Daring".
***

2 comments:

Joey said...

What a lovely blog entry. I'm a fellow Scot (third generation, but that doesn't weaken the tie) How fun to go to the Highland Games ...remarkable pictures and the bagpipes -- nothing like them in the whole world. Thanks, Debra.

Scrabblequeen said...

HOw fun. We love going to the Highland Games...and we enjoy the Wicked Tinkers, too. Too bad your "days" both fell on the same day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...