Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

For Sam


Today marks the 36th birthday of my second child, Sam. This post is dedicated to him.


Dear Sam,


Today is your 36th birthday! I don't know where the years have gone! Wasn't it just a few days ago that you were starting kindergarten? Why I recall so vividly on that day how you cried when I left you-and how I held back my own tears until just outside the classroom door. And if I listen really hard, I'm sure I still hear the thump of the basketball hitting the rim outside my kitchen window; you practiced for hours out there, even in the dark. But when I look-I see that you aren't there any longer. Where did those priceless hours go? Those turnouts and games when I sat on the bleachers watching and cheering for you seemed like they would go on forever and yet they've vanished before my very eyes, Poof! And your high school years-were those really years that flashed right past me? It's now a blur of cars and friends, sports and jobs, your graduation day and then - you were gone. And then-so suddenly- you were a man. And now- you are a man. A man that I am proud to call my son. Now you may find yourself standing outside the classroom door and wiping away a tear. Or sitting in a the bleachers, cheering for Kyle and Ivan. And believe me when I say that soon you'll be watching those boys walk up the aisle to accept their diplomas.

And so my birthday wish for you, my son, my Samuel, is the gift of living in the present. May you savor every moment, because all of your moments strung together comprise your life. Make the most of them-for they will become your cherished memories. Like the ones I have of you.

Happy Birthday, Sam. Happy, Happy Birthday! I love you with all my heart.

Mom

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...