Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Amaryllis


Amaryllis (pronounced /ˌæməˈrɪləs/)[1] is also known as the belladonna lily or naked lady. The genus has two species and the more famous of the two, Amaryllis belladonna, is a native of South Africa, particularly the rocky southwest region near the Cape. It should not be confused with Hippeastrum, a flowering bulb commonly sold in the winter months for its ability to bloom indoors.
Source: Wikipedia


. Amaryllis are one of my favorite flowering plants to grow indoors. Each and every  Christmas since I can't remember when; some intuitive person gives me a kit that contains an amaryllis bulb, potting soil, and a pot. I never ask for one but somebody always comes through for me. That's what makes it so fun! This year my sister-in-law Sandy, gave me the kit. And by concidence I gave her a kit too! I guess brilliant minds do think alike. I planted mine on December 26. so it's taken a while, but it's about to burst open! For me the amaryllis marks the end of the holidays and the promise of spring. Here in the Northwest, winter can get pretty gloomy. But my amaryllis plant brightens gray winter days with her beautiful red petals.



***

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...