Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wardrobe Woes


My closet has been causing me some anxiety for a while now. It seems like every morning I stand in front of it looking at things I don't like, or that don't fit, and that don't seem to go with anything else I have. It's frustrating to start the day that way. So today was the day to make some changes... 
Bye-bye shirts that don't cover my tummy...


Adios to pants that are too low in front, are high-waters
or that drag on the ground..

And 'bidabidabida, that's all folks' to my jackets
that won't close in the front, and feel as tight
as a swaddled baby.


I took 17 garments out of the closet today. I've learned from experience not to throw them out or donate them just yet. Over the years my weight has fluctuated up and down like Oprah's; and as a result I've gotten rid of, and repurchased several wardrobes from size 8 to size 1x.

The thinking has gone like this, "Well, I've lost all this weight-so if I keep my big clothes, it's like admitting that I'm gonna gain the weight back." So I've donated the clothes and then gained the weight back. Then my mind says, "You can't go around in clothes that don't fit...just buy some bigger clothes that look nice on you--accept your size and move on!" So I buy bigger clothing. Later, I go on a diet and lose weight. I buy smaller clothing...and  so the cycle continues. Well, I'm not playing that game with myself any more. I'll store the things that I love, but that don't fit. If my weight changes, I'll shop from my stored clothing bins instead of Macys.  And yes, I do realize that the ultimate solution is to stabilize the weight.

But in my defense, my weight hasn't changed that much over the past year. It's the clothes! Really!
It seems like after just a few washings my t-shirts are shrunk to above the navel and the cotton blouses that I just purchased are too tight across the bust. Is it  just cheap fabric, or am I laundering them incorrectly? What's your secret for keeping your clothing from shrinking (and your body from increasing?) Inquiring minds want to know...

***

3 comments:

joanne said...

I blame it on my dryer...all my clothes seem to shrink an entire size when I launder them...hmmm. No way could it be me right!

ellen b. said...

Oh my this post hits too close to home. Jackets that won't close, etc. etc. My solution these days is just to buy extra large LOL!

Debora said...

You may have a point...remember buying the kids clothes a size larger so they wouldn't outgrow them? I'm thinking of doing the same for myself-to compensate for that dadburned dryer...because of course it's not US!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...