Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lettuce, Turkey Ham, and a Little Inspiration from Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou is my hero. She's what I want to be when I grow up. It's not just her writing; which in itself would make her admirable. It's her soul-her grace, even regal manner.

So when I spotted her cookbook in the library "Great Food, All Day Long"; I snagged it. Didn't have to look inside...Maya doesn't write anything bad. And of course, it's just superb.

In one part she describes coming home from travelling to a house that 'resists' her. Cold, unfriendly, and aloof is how she describes it. (Oh how I love the imagery here; describing a house with human characteristics.) Her remedy for 'winning the house back' is to head to the kitchen and start cooking. She does it immediately...right after she sets her luggage down inside the door. 

It's true isn't it? The warmest, most inviting homes aren't necessarily the prettiest or the most spic-n-span; but they do always smell of good home cooking. So I headed for the cupboards to see what I could rustle up.

I had a half of a turkey ham in the freezer, a lot of fresh veggies in the keeper, some dried split peas, a dozen eggs and some rolls.  And; to my great delight, the leaf lettuce in my garden is ready to pick!
Sounds like the makin's for a great chef salad tonight, with soup for tomorrow and sandwiches for lunch; plus maybe some ham & eggs or waffles and ham on Thursday.


Chef Salad

Fresh lettuce
Cucumbers
Tomato
Hard Boiled Eggs
Green Onions
Garbanzo Beans
Black Olives
Cheddar Cheese
Cooked Ham
Sunflower Seeds
Your favorite Dressing

Or...Just use whatever you've got in the fridge.


I cooked the whole ham for soup and other meals, and I threw in a few extra eggs for egg salad sandwiches this week.




This photo is from Southern Living--the rest are mine.







I'm as proud as punch of this lettuce...it's the first produce from my garden.

Split Pea Soup with Ham

One 1-lb. package of dried split peas
Wash and sort peas.
Put them into a soup pot and cover with 6-8 cups of water.
Bring to a boil, then simmer...skimming foam off the top.
Add chunks of ham or a ham bone, a handful of diced onions.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Cook until peas are mushy; adding water to the consistency you desire.
I like my soups pretty thick.

Enjoy...then freeze the rest for an easy work-night meal.

Thanks Maya! My house is feelin' mighty friendly right about now!!


1 comment:

ellen b. said...

Yum! You are making my mouth water...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...