Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Monday, July 18, 2011

Life After Boboli--In the Fast Lane

     Last week I made Boboli pizzas for hubby and I. He had a traditional pepperoni. I wanted to try my home-made spinach pesto on a whole wheat crust. Blehhh! The whole wheat crust was very strong tasting and so was my pesto. The combination was just putrid. I think I'm gonna have to start making my own pizza crusts. Sorry Boboli!

     I still had some leftover pizza sauce and all the fixins for pizza, but I didn't want to make pizza again. So I used all those leftover ingredients to make a great 'goulash'.

     Now I know that 'goulash' means different things to different people. I first realized that goulash was different depending on where you go while travelling through Europe several years ago. Kelly and I were racing down the Authbahn-doing somewhere between 95 and 118 miles per hour in our rented Audi A-4 , chasing a crazy-fast yellow convertible sportscar that had passed us.  We'd never seen a car exactly like that little sportscar, so we put the pedal to the metal to try and catch up to it. (We're car buffs, in case you didn't notice.) I don't think we'd ever have caught that car, but luckily, it turned into a roadside cafe, so we whipped in behind it. After oohing and ahhing over this beautiful vehicle, we went inside for a bite. I ordered goulash. What a pleasant surprise! The waiter brought me big a plate of tender beef in a savory gravy all mixed in with potatoes and carrots. It was very much like what I would call Swiss Steak.

     In my childhood home, goulash was something completely different. When Mom made goulash, she browned ground beef with onions and added it to cooked macaroni, with stewed tomatoes and chopped celery.

     Goulash, according to some others, is a dish made with leftovers. That's what this recipe is.

Pepperoni Pizza Goulash

About 3/4 jar of pizza sauce
Pepperoni slices
Sliced black olives
Around 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
1 cup grated Mozarella cheese
Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Stir pizza sauce into macaroni; add pepperoni and olives. Put mixture into a baking dish. Top with grated mozarella cheese. Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees until cheese is melted.
Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper may be added to taste.
Enjoy.

This quick and tasty recipe is great with a garden salad and slice of bread.



Mmmm!

     In case you're wondering; that sports car we chased was a 1997 Porsche Boxster. '97 was the first year they made the Boxster. What a sweet car!

***

3 comments:

joanne said...

ack! I had just typed the most wonderful comment and it disappeared...poof!!!

I must say that the boxster is the one car that my hubby dreams about on a regular basis. ha. You have great taste!

As far as goulash. In our house it was code for leftovers. Take all the leftovers from the week throw it in a pot and add some tomato sauce. Yours sounds much more appetizing!

Two sweet little cows showed up at my house a few days ago. They are charming and I can't wait to put a post up about them. Thank you Deb!

ellen b. said...

My family gets the leftover kind of goulash a lot! My go to kind of last minute dinner. I haven't had a lot of good results trying homemade pizza. I've heard people enjoy grilling pizzas...

Anneliese said...

I have a fascination for cute porshes too! Your macaroni/pizza goulash sounds good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...