Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Rainy-Day Reverie in My Pacific-Northwestern Kitchen

A Rainy-Day Reverie
in My Pacific-Northwestern Kitchen

                         by Debora Rorvig                        


It's mid July and raining... so
I open the kitchen window wide
to smell the grass and spruce
and inhale the bouquet of life.

Through the drizzle on my window panes
I pause to watch the tiny wrens
bathing on massive evergreen boughs...
and marvel at Your handiwork,
God of all things great and small.

I'm stirring up a batch of jam-
the kitchen is a sweet melange of raspberries
and sugar
all stirred together on the rainy breeze with
wet grass and Douglas fir.

Stevie Nicks is singing
on the radio.
 I hum along,
tapping my $1.99 
pink flip flops
to Landslide.
I've never fully understood
those lyrics 
 yet
I can relate.

My faded jeans are
berry stained and sugar coated
from repeatedly wiping my my hands on them.
I guess I forgot to wear that apron
I got for Christmas;
but it's O.K.
The  berry stains may not come out
but I don't mind.
They'll remind me of a pleasant day
and kitchen chores enjoyed.

 Even Koda's happy today
lying there on the rug,
 contentedly gnawing on her bone
while calico Posie-cat
 naps in the easy chair.

and it's Just So Good to be here now...

I am very thankful.
***


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...