Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Monday, August 8, 2011

Cooling Off In Lake Whatcom

Took Ana and Dane to Bloedel Donovan Park for a dip in Lake Whatcom. Wasn't it just last week that their daddy, his sister, and brother were splashing one another in this lake? More like 25 years. And has it really been 45 years since I dog-paddled out to the high dive, nervously climbed the ladder, held my nose and jumped? And when I was 5,  my older sissie and her pretty girlfriends walk me down to the lake with them. Back then, their were lifeguards with suntan lotion on their noses, hotdogs at the concession stand, and the loudspeakers were playing Neil Sedaka's "Breaking Up is Hard to Do."  Wonderful memories! My dad worked at the Bloedel Donovan lumber mill in the 50's and 60's which was situated on the shore of the lake, adjacent the park. My grandfather ran a tugboat up the lake to logging camps; delivering log booms to the mill. He and Grandma lived near the lake. When missionaries visited The Firs Bible Camp and church that they attended, Grandma and Grandpa Cline would let the missionaries live in their home and  they would go up the lake with a tent and camp out for several weeks at a time on the lake shore.  Our family has a rich history with this old lake! Glad my grandchildren got to go there! They swim like fish! Another generation of memories.






3 comments:

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

My favorite memory was going to Bloedel for swimming (wading on my part) and getting a candy necklace at the little snack place! I took my kids to Bloedel and we did the same thing, candy necklaces and all.

And the high dive, nope not me! I didn't learn to swim until I was a teenager... in a pool. I fell off a dock at Bloedel when I was 4 and the water was over my head. I was petrified of water for a long time after that!

~Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Debora. Did you get my package in the mail? I'm starting to worry about not hearing from you.

Linda O'Connell said...

What beautiful grandchildren, lovely post and fun memories...where do the years go?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...