Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Snippets of My Living Room

We're packing up and heading out to the beach this weekend. It'll probably be stormy, but we don't mind. We've got our hiking boots and stocking caps, with nice warm fleece for walking the beaches and trails. The coffee's fresh ground for the percolator and there's bacon and eggs for the cast iron skillet. And books, lots of books. Hubby's taking music: Boz Skaggs, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Steely Dan and Foreigner. I'll probably add a Celtic cd or two, and maybe a little Bluegrass. We'll play a little cribbage, I always win! Well maybe not always, but at least 2 of 3. And yes, I've got the camera. I've been told the views from the grassy bluff above the ocean are spectacular. So hubby, Koda and I are all set.

Since we're busy packing, this post must be brief. Thought I'd give you a little peek into my living room...show you some of my favorite things.


When hubby's uncle Myles passed away, we inherited this lovely piece of furniture. It's far more elegant than I am, but somehow it works in our living room.


The oriental lamps were Uncle Myles' too. There were two of them. They were both broken, but he had saved the pieces. We brought them home and painstakenly glued them back together. Somehow this makes them more beloved to me.


But it's not the heirlooms that hold my heart...


it's the faces you see here...look at those eyes!


They are more precious to me than gold.


Each one unique. Each one cherished.


More blue and white ceramics on the coffee table. We do use the apple teapot from time to time when my grand-daughters are in the mood for a teaparty.


An Oriental pillow, a thrifted treasure. I've always loved Oriental things. My brother Dallas was in the Airforce during the Korean conflict. He brought home a beautiful kimono for Mom...it was yellow silk with a fiery red dragon on the back. I loved that kimono. I still have it.

A few of my best hats hang on a coat rack next to the secretary. This is my favorite hat...purchased in the Bahamas. I have several straw hats and a nice cream colored vintage felt hat with a veil. Perfect for playing dress-up or wearing to tea or the beach.


Photos from yesteryear on my secretary ...my children when they were young.





Silk chrysanthemums atop the TV armoire, with a Tuscan picture in the background. Yes, I do some silk flowers...because certains flowers make me sneeze. Besides, I rather like them.

If my camera wasn't locked up in the campervan, I'd quick snap a photo of my beautiful wool Karastan rug. It's navy blue with all kinds of swirly flowers in golds, greens, and russets. That's why I can combine the blue pottery with the autumn colors and it works. The sofa, chair, ottoman, and drapes are olive green. It's a nice room, I think. Pleasant and restful, with images of the ones nearest and dearest to my heart.

Enjoy your weekend!
***
.

2 comments:

joanne said...

everything is so pretty. Love that table, wow, what a great gift to you. have a great time at the beach.

Sunny Simple Life said...

You have some real lovelies and you are right the loveliest are the memories. Have a wonderful time at the beach. We love a stormy day on the coast any time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...