Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Friday, November 11, 2011

A Remedy for Decorating Doldrums


Good morning! I have today off, and though I planned to sleep in, there were just too many ideas buzzing through my head. You know what I mean...you get a day off and there are more things that you want to do than you can possibly accomplish.

The first order of my day was to do a bit of rearranging. I've been in the decorating doldrums for quite a while now...feeling pretty dis-satisfied with the way my home looks. That's partly because I'm in the middle of a 'style identity crisis.'  My tastes have changed but my furnishings haven't.

Sometimes though, small changes can assuage the urge to splurge. I bought this beautiful wool scarf to wear with my brown corduroy jeans and beige tee shirt; but it's been too warm to wear a heavy scarf indoors. So I put it on the coffee table. 

When I moved the cactus from the top of the refrigerator  to the coffee table, I noticed that it's about to bloom-- just in time for Thanksgiving. What a hardly little plant!  I've neglected it terribly, but bless it's heart, it's still going to bloom. (BTW, did you notice the pot it lives in? Its a garage sale find, an antique...around 100 years old!)

So am I going to bloom this Thanksgiving? Are you? Can we find things to be grateful for in spite of having been  metaphorically 'stuck on the top of the refrigerator'? I think it's time to begin meditating on all of the things I'm thankful for, instead of focusing on the things I don't have.

My Gratitude List for November 11

  • health and the ability to get out and walk
  • my good neighbors on all sides
  • a soon approaching birthday...56 years strong!
  • tea and scones
  • the loss of 8 lb. which has nothing to do with tea and scones or pumpkin pie
  • my loving, faithful husband
  • my beautiful, beautiful children and grandchildren--all healthy and happy
  • the fact that Christ is with me every day, even when I'm at my worst
  • my sister
  • pumpkin pie
  • being debt-free in a world that's drowning in debt
  • clear sinuses

AND...all of the lovely things in this world, like music and art and pretty yarn and fluffy kittens, snow-capped mountains, sparkling Christmas trees, full-moons, pine trees with owls in them, wagging-tailed dogs, embroidered tea-towels, sweet-faced children, and pumpkin pie. (I've mentioned the pie again...I'm really craving pumpkin pie!)

My list could go on forever.

***


4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I like ALL your "lovelies" - from the scarf & Christmas cactus to your gratitude list!

Oh, I sure hope you get yourself a bit of pumpkin pie!

ellen b. said...

Wonderful gratitude list! Love that phrase "My tastes have changed but my furnishings haven't" Amen to that! Have a wonderful weekend!

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

You have so much to be thankful for! That is fabulous, really!

And the cactus... I just noticed mine was about to start blooming too. I'm working on painting the cabinet it was sitting on and fortunately noticed it. I'll have to move it to a more view able spot now!

~Chris

Linda O'Connell said...

Love the scarf idea, the plant, and your list is inspiring. Gee I wish I had some pumpkin pie. How did you lose eight pounds? I need to get up and out of this chair.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...