Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A simplistic view of RAW photography

"Dusty Teacup"

I took this picture for my photography class using the RAW setting. For those who don't know...RAW is an uncompressed format on your EOS camera.

 As my instructor explained it: "When you are shooting the sky, for example; your JPEG format will look at the colors of blue and if they are fairly close in hue, it will decide to lump them all together into one color. RAW, on the other hand, will take the picture exactly as you see it, distinguishing all of the subtle variations in color."

The difference between JPEG and RAW is like the difference between wearing your glasses to read a prescription bottle or not. The colors are so vibrant! But RAW takes up a lot of space...I can shoot about 400 RAW photos on my memory card as compared to 1200 JPEG. So you have to be aware of space when using this format. You need to process RAW pics differently too. Your camera should have come with some software that will allow this. Photoshop, of course, is great for processing RAW photos.

That little 5-night photography course was one of the best $100 I ever spent! All of those mysterious settings suddenly make sense!
***

3 comments:

farmlady said...

In all my picture taking days, I don't think anyone has ever explained the difference between JPEG and RAW as well as this. I never understood RAW and never use it. I think I need a workshop. Paying $100. for this kind of information is very reasonable.
Great post. Great photo.

joanne said...

I agree with Farmlady, now it makes so much more sense. And I love the photo, the colours are lovely.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I was considering using RAW until I spoke with my favorite photo print shop who informed me that there are no photo print shops in Salt Lake City that can print a RAW photo....or TIF. Have you found on-line printers who will enlarge and print from RAW?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...