Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Friday, July 20, 2012

Razzleberries



Stopped and bought a flat of raspberries (or as my dad called them; razzleberries) at a local farm market today because I am too busy to go out and pick my own. They are luscious, sweet, and expensive!

 Guess what I paid for 12 eensie weensie boxes...$24! Holy razzleberries! When we were kids we picked raspberries for school clothes. One dollar per flat was the pay scale. The flats were 'cannery flats' so the boxes were twice the size of these little cardboard ones you see today. On a great day; and I mean great day; I could pick 24 flats and earn $24.

Oh well, they are beautiful and will make very tasty freezer jam for the winter. And though strawberries are my favorite berry to eat fresh, in my humble opinion razzleberries and blackberries make the best jam.

But next year I'm going to plant a couple of bushes out in the back yard. I wonder if I can get the grandkids to pick them for me...

2 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Yummy, I just polished off blueberries. Enjoy the harvest while it's here.

trump said...

Nothing like picking your own fruit, and somehow it even taste that much better when you do. Richard

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...