Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, November 4, 2012

S.H.A.P.E.

I'm reading a nice little book called "The 50 Best Ways to Simplify Your Life". It has some good ideas. In the Spirit section there's a chapter that encourages you to create an acronym all for yourself; one that represents exactly what you want your life's focus to be. For example, one of the people mentioned in the book, Dave, has C.R.E.W.  written on the corner of his planner. CREW stands for Create, Read, Exercise, Write. Every night he underlines the letters representing what he accomplished that day. He notes that when he feels stale and depressed, it's usually days that he hasn't been able to underline his acronym letters.

So I got busy and created my own acronym:

S: Spirit (spending time in prayer, meditation, Bible study, worship--it could be as simple as revelling in the beauty of autumn and being thankful to God for his creation)
H: Heart (loving those around me...and showing it in tangible ways.)
A: Art (this one's for my photography...taking pics, learning about photography, or just       
     enjoying others' artwork.)
P: Pen (writing.)
E: Exercise and Eating right.

Now every evening when I retire, I spend a moment reflecting on SHAPE. Was I able to accomplish the things I want? Did I notice God in my everyday? Did I demonstrate love today to my family, friends, or students? Was I able to eke out a little time for art and pen?
What did I eat today--was it healthy and nourishing? And finally, did I at least find time to go for a walk with my buddy Baron?

These goals aren't earth-shattering; and  may not be yours, but to me, if I am true to them, I think I will have lived well on this earth.

If you had a personal acronym, what would it be?

***

3 comments:

Masa said...

Great food for thought - thank you!

ellen b. said...

That's an interesting thought to create your own acronym...

farmlady said...

Lovely thoughts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...