Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Kindful; My New Favorite Word

This week I spent some time working with an adorable little 9-year-old. This little girl's life has been very tumultuous. We're talking CPS visits, being removed from her home for very good reasons, being returned to her home for very stupid reasons, and all the while she thinks her family problems are her fault. Every time I see this little one she runs to me and gives me a great big hug. Her sweetness in the midst of all of her problems just melts my heart.

I was assessing her to see if she qualified for special educational services. One of the things I asked her to do was to draw me a picture, then write a few sentences to describe it. 

Little Sweetie carefully drew a picture of a lady wearing a pretty dress with a great big smile.

I said, "Can you tell me about your picture?"

She pointed across the room to my boss and said, "It's Mrs. Brown."

"Well, can you tell me more about the picture?"

"Yes. That's Mrs. Brown. I love her. She is sooooo kindful!"

"Kindful?"

"Yes, kindful," she smiled up at me.

Kindful. Yes, she is right. Some people are just soooo kindful. You know...thoughtful+kind, or beautiful+kind, or maybe just plain full of kindness. Kindful. It's my new favorite word.

I think the world needs more kindful people. I want to be one of them. Don't you?

***

4 comments:

BECKY said...

Debora, this is just beautiful...and it breaks my heart knowing how inadequate our government's system is in attempting to protect and take care of so many children. I admire you greatly for the work you do, and I honestly believe that ONE person, CAN make a difference.
I also LOVE your new word: Kindful, and yes...I want to be a kindful person!

Linda O'Connell said...

Debora, one person CAN make a big difference in a little child's life. So glad she has you to turn to for affection. Kindful...I like that.

ellen b. said...

Oh yes it is good for a little one like this to have kindful people in her life. Glad she has you and "Mrs. Brown"

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

What a great new word!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...