Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Curried Chicken & Broccoli Bake

I love, love, love soups and casseroles. The more stuff you can throw into a pot or baking dish, the more delicious it is...right? And then there's that added perk of fewer dishes to wash which after a long day at work is soooo nice! So here's my all-time favorite casserole. (Actually it may be my second favorite casserole; I love the old layered hamburger and tater tot casserole but haven't made it for years because it's just not that nutritious.) Even though this recipe has a bit of fat from the cheese and the soup mixture; it's loaded with broccoli which just has to be better than tater tots! Plus I've noted some ways to further reduce fat and sodium.

Curried Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
 
1 16 ounce bag of frozen broccoli florets (I usually use more. And fresh broccoli is even better, if you have it.)
8-10 chicken tenders, cooked and diced
1can of cream of chicken soup (10 3/4 oz.)
1 can of cream of celery soup (10 3/4 oz)
1 cup of mayonnaise 
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. curry powder
3/4 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs 
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Cook broccoli as directed or until tender if you are using fresh. Drain. Place the cooked broccoli in the bottom of baking dish. Put cooked chicken on top of the broccoli.
 
 
In a medium bowl, mix together soups, mayo, lemon juice and curry powder. Blend well. Pour this mixture over the broccoli and chicken and spread evenly. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Top with bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or so.
Toasted bread crumbs, melted cheese, spicy curry with chicken and broccoli = scrumptious!
 
 
NOTE: Healthy Substitutions
 
You may substitute 6 oz of plain non-fat yogurt mixed with 1/4 c. mayo instead of the full cup of mayo.
The quantity of cheese may be reduced, or use low-fat cheese.
If you are watching sodium intake, be sure to buy reduced-salt soups.
I can't say it's more healthy, but I substituted some Mrs. Cubbison's cornbread stuffing for the bread crumbs; it was fantastic!
***

2 comments:

Jack McCallum said...

That looks so good! I'm going to have to try it. :)

Rebecca said...

Yum! It sounds SO good...
I actually have some chicken thighs in the crock pot along with a jar of spaghetti sauce, some orange peppers that were on sale last week, a bit of brown rice & ricotta cheese from another recipe I'd made last week. It's smelling SO good that I'm not sure I can wait for our 1:30 dinnertime.... (I'm always throwing various combinations into the "pot" - never have the same thing twice.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...