Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A little walk in the herb garden

Would you like to join Posie and me for a little stroll in the herb garden this evening?



I think the herb-markers I made came out pretty cute! I used polymer clay in a nice terra cotta color. I stamped the words with a stamp kit, poked a hole into the bottom, and baked them for about 15 minutes. Oops, I should have put the hole at the top! Then I could have wound the copper wire into a pretty curlycue from the top. Then the disks would swing freely below the wire. But since I didn't do that, I had to use some twigs and wind the wire tightly around them to make them stand upright. But they're still pretty and I do sort of like the rustic twiggy bases. I made about 10 but have many more to make...so there'll be another chance to perfect the system! Some I've seen have been 'stamped' with the herb's leaves. Maybe I'll try that on my next batch.

 Every year I fill this birdbath with plants, and every year I've struggled to keep the plants from getting scraggly. So I went down to the local nursery and asked for advice. They suggested that I drill some holes in the base of the birdbath for better drainage and use succulents. So I did, and here's the result. The birdbath sits in the middle of the garden.



 Something caught Posie's eye. Probably a spider. She loves to catch spiders.
Loving the herb garden and the succulent birdbath. Loving the beginning of summer!

10 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I also love your herb garden, your succulents, Posie and your name tags. I am grateful that we have left summer behind though...

Susan said...

Hi Debora...What fabulous markers. GREAT JOB! So adorable. I LOVE your herb garden. Would like to see a photo of the entire garden.

Do you have a fence around it, to keep critters out? Susan

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Loving your garden!

Those markers are really cute. Great idea. My rosemary has really gotten big, but the basil, not so much. Probably because I use more of it.

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

I love that the markers look like clay! I have an old set of letters for making cement bricks... I need to dig them out and make some of these now!

~Chris

Debora said...

Hi Chris! The markers are ridiculously easy to make. Polymer clay from Michaels and a little plastic stamping kit, an old cookie sheet (don't wanna do cookies on the same thing as the clay), something to roll it out with (I used a jar), bake, and you're their!

Debora said...

Hi Susan S! My basil is not doing well either. I can't understand it. I have friends that grow it so easily...sigh! But my sage and oregano are thriving!

Debora said...

Hey Susan,
I'm being a little sneaky here. Took photos of the best part of the garden. I have a blank spot that's waiting for some new herbs I intend to grow. So the full photo will be when it's completely full of herbs. I did just get some chamomile, Echinacea, and some lovage put in. I think it'll be prettier when the Echinacea and chamomile flowers bloom.

Debora said...

Hello Elephant's Child! I can't imagine wishing summers away...ours are so short and cherished! Is it very very hot there in summer...or are you just tired of all of the extra gardening done then?

Elephant's Child said...

Our summers are VERY hot, very dry and MS and summer get along really well - which means it is not my friend. It is the season of the year when I get least done in the garden as I can only go out just after dawn for an hour or so.

ellen b. said...

Lovely garden herbs and markers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...