Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Where do I hang the herbs to dry?

It's a conundrum, a kerfuffle, a head scratcher. Now that I have all of these wonderful herbs growing out back, they've got to be harvested and dried...but where? It's supposed to be dry. Airy. Light. They'd look so pretty in the kitchen window above my sink. Too steamy. Laundry room...steamy. Garage...dark and spider-y. Family room, living room, bedrooms...kinda weird. I mean, I like the earthy, herbal vibe but when your whole house is filled with things hanging upside down it becomes a little, well; do you remember that old Disney movie 'Thomasina?' The yellow British cat with nine lives who is somehow (and I don't remember how) raised from the dead by a beautiful but eccentric spinster that everybody thinks is a witch because she grows herbs and makes concoctions? I do grow herbs and fully intend to make concoctions and decoctions and such; still I don't want to be 'that woman'. You know? So I finally settled on using the mouldings around the kitchen door. We'll see how this batch goes. If it doesn't work, perhaps my summer house-guests will find themselves sleeping beneath a lovely bower of magical herbs dangling from the ceiling! Gotta go. My cauldron is boiling over.



 

4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Let us know how you go. I have dried herbs in the spare room before - but it isn't/wasn't entirely satisfactory.

Linda O'Connell said...

I recently hung a bunch of lavendar upside down in the pantry. Every day I mind a spring on the floor. Soon there will be no more.

ellen b. said...

Oh I'm envisioning that ceiling and it would be a great pinterest photo for sure. LOL! Enjoy your herbs of plenty...

Bookie said...

Looks nice there...I hope it works for you! My sister in law has a dehydrator (hope word is right) and she dries herbs and apples.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...