Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Grandma's a Little Cra-Cra

Grandson Dane challenged hubby and I to do the 'Winter Challenge.' For the uninitiated...the Winter Challenge is a dare to run into freezing cold water; and then, in turn, to challenge others to do the same. Grandpa and I were up for the challenge. After much deliberation we chose Lake Whatcom for the big event. Even though it's mountain fed, it's not as frigid as the freezing waters of the Puget Sound. And though it was tempting, we opted against some local ponds that would be warmer, but brackish and slimy.

 To get to Lake Whatcom you must drive over gi-normous Alabama Hill. As we proceeded up the hill; I began having serious misgivings. All the way up (and over) that hill I was contemplating chickening-out. Should a 58-year-old grandmother of 13 really plunge headlong into a chilly lake? It was only 42 degrees outside. Would I get hypothermia? Would this be too a great shock for my pampered, heat-loving system? I tell you; I was really in a dither by the time we arrived at the lake.

Hubby went first while I video'd him. Seeing him come out of the water without turning blue gave me the courage I needed to take the plunge. I did it; folks; I really did it! Here's the link for proof!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201956673174587&l=4740014364935713972

How would I describe the experience?
Exhilarating!
 
Sometimes even Grandmas need to do something a little cra-cray!
***

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Love it. I was slightly younger, not a grand-ma and probably crazy when I went swimming at Antarctica. Sans wet-suit.
And yes, it was envigorating. Even my fillings were envigorated.

Linda O'Connell said...

You are a brave soul, but now look what you have to write about! Sorry for the last name typo. I kept looking at that and wondering why it didn't sound correct.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...