Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Mother cutting child's hair (from unpublished photo essay re A Town at War).
LIFE MAGAZINE
Date taken:1945
Photographer:Alfred Eisenstaedt
Today at school, little Vanessa, one of my kindergarten students cut her hair. We were supposed to be cutting out the letter "O", but when I looked across the table, Vanessa was guiltily twirling a few locks of her golden brown hair between her fingers. She knew she was busted. She'd done it before. "I couldn't see what I was doing!" she protested. So I decided to tell the four children at our table about the time that I cut my own hair. I described in great detail how I tried to cut my bangs, but they weren't straight. So I kept cutting and cutting and cutting...until finally my beautiful hair was ruined. It was so bad that my friends made fun of me and I had to wear a hat so people wouldn't notice it.

Andy, a little boy at our table was listening intently. When I finished my story Andy immediately raised his hand. "Yes, Andy?" I responded. His eyes were fixed upon my hair. "Did that happen to you today?" he asked incredulously.
What I neglected to tell you until now is that last Saturday I got my hair cut. I thought it was a bit too short. Andy has confirmed this for me. All of my adult friends said it was 'cute'. They aren't as honest as Andy!
***

1 comment:

Judy said...

Great story...kids are so honest! I'm sure you could write a book...of things that are said in the classroom.

Thanks for stopping by...and sharing your memories of Peace Arch Park. I'm wondering if it is still such a popular picninc place.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...