Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Quilts and Afghans, and Blankets; Oh My!

 I love blankets. They make me feel cozy and secure. I keep them all over the house; just in case I feel cold, or tired, or sad, or cranky. A nice warm blanket coupled with a cup of tea or cocoa and a great book is my idea of the perfect afternoon. Especially if it's raining. So I thought I'd share some of my favorites with you. There are many more scattered around the house but well, it's raining and the tea kettle is whistling. And I have a great new book to read....

A Big Lots find, very warm and nubby-a rainy day curling up on the sofa afghan.

I bought this at a Salvation Army Christmas Craft sale. I have to admit I felt like a thief paying only $25 for it.

This came from a specialty home decor store. It's wonderful at Christmas time either on the sofa or as a wall hanging.

My sweet daughter-in-law Karen made this for me for Christmas some years back. She even hand stitched the quilting! It's vintage look fabrics with a cozy flannel backing. I like to do yoga on it. It makes me happy to look at the pretty fabrics and think that someone loves me enough to make it for me!

A nice light weight afghan from Costco. Its good to wrap about my shoulders on chilly days while reading. I love the color.

My first hand-made quilt. I made it for my hubby. An easy one- the old 9-patch strip quilt. It's hard to see, but I quilted shamrocks into the white squares. Why? Because my husband's name is Kelly, and it's Kelly green. So I wanted a bit of the luck o' the Irish in it!

An inexpensive find from our local hardware store of all places. I use it on my bed when I want lots of color and a warm feeling. All other times my bed is covered with a white chenille bedspread.

A thrift-store find. Isn't the shell pattern beautiful. It goes with everything. But I must admit, the wool is a bit scratchy.

One of my favorites. This is a Ralph Lauren vintage look duvet I bought at a garage sale for $1. I know!!!! I can't believe it either. It's soft and luxurious. The colors are just yummy!

This is a quilt I bought for a twin bed. I don't even have a twin bed anymore, but I just can't part with the quilt!

Two pretty afghans. The light blue one on the left is another Salvation Army Christmas sale find. The one on the right is a thrift store find that I call my VanGogh afghan. Doesn't it remind you of VanGogh's sunflowers?

This afghan was my mothers. When she died we were going through her things and I asked if I could have it. My sister had first dibs because she's the one who made it for Mom, but she didn't want it. Now I have something to remind me of two special ladies in my life. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...