Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Fall Seven Times-Stand Up Eight: A Japanese Proverb


The Koi Fish is a symbol of strength in adversity.

There is a Japanese Proverb that goes:

Fall Seven Times: Stand Up Eight

Reading this proverb has got me thinking...
It's hard to be tenacious. To keep on keeping on. To get up when we're knocked down and keep going. It seems sometimes that we will never succeed. But one thing is certain; we will never succeed if we don't stand up. And then stand up again. And again. As many times as it takes. Several years ago, I went through some things that caused me to become very discouraged with myself and my life. I confided in my good friend and mentor, Dr. Bert Dearden, feeling quite sure that he would feel sorry for me and give me some kind advice. But instead of soft words, he looked at me sternly and said, "Debora, when we walk down the road of life, we all have troubles and make mistakes. Some people, when they fall; get up, brush themselves off, and go on. Others sit by the side of the road and feel sorry for themselves. Which will you do?"

If I'm honest with myself; I have to admit that there are still areas in my life where I need to 'stand up'.

What about you? Are there things that have knocked you down and made you almost afraid to get up?
Don't stay in that place. You've got a great journey ahead of you so don't sit by the side of the road anymore. Stand up!

--------------


And reflecting upon the disaster in Japan...

There are Japanese citizens who are still suffering from the effects of radiation from Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Some of those affected were infants in their mother's womb at the time of the attack. It makes my heart cry to think that once again they are facing the nightmare of radiation as a result of damage to their power plants. How frightened young mothers must be for their children and unborn! 
It will take incredible courage for them to 'stand up' again.

So, Heavenly Father, we pray for the victims of this tragedy...
Shield them from the effects of radiation,
Give them courage and grace to face the days ahead 
Let peace return to their hearts,
 and happiness to their homes. 
Amen.
***

3 comments:

joanne said...

well said...Amen.

ellen b. said...

Amen, amen...

Yolanda said...

I so agree with this post. All of my life has been about getting up after falling and I to feel such empathy toward the people of Japan. I am glad to have found your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...