Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Seduction of Color

It starts innocently enough. I casually stroll past the mug in Pier One Imports. I glance it's way. What? Did that mug just wink at me? The attraction is immediate. There's something about it that draws me in; the rich, earthy colors and the almost insolent pattern...I know I must have it.

I take the mug home and set in on the kitchen counter. The infatuation grows. Terra cottas and olive greens, with a touch of hazy blues. Like a midsummer day. It speaks to me of warm sunshiny days in August, zinnias, sunflowers and lying in the grass. I need more, more more.

I hurry to the car with my mug in hand. It is my muse, my inspiration. When I enter the fabric store with my empty mug in hand; people give me sideways glances and whisper to one another. "She's carrying an empty mug! She either thinks she's in Starbucks, or she's gonna ask us for spare change." But I'm not a beggar or a crazy woman- I just want fabric--for curtains--to match the mug. Being the smart cookie that I am, I also take my Jo-Ann Fabric 50% off coupon. After searching through the decorator aisles, the discount stacks and the summer canvas's I strike gold. There, buried in the calicos...is the perfect complement to the mug...Eureka!


It's a match made in heaven. Well, perhaps I exaggerate a bit. But it's a really good match!

Be still my heart!

I once heard a designer say that people often collect things they love without ever really noticing that they are doing it. That's how people who do those re-designs with what's already in your house do it. The just look around at your stuff and usually there's and underlying theme.Have I subconsciously collected these colors all along? Lets look around...

 The strawberry pot on the deck.
Prints.
More prints
More prints.





Yup. It's all over the place.




This winter is set for our kitchen remodel. I'm thinkin' terra-cotta tile floors, burnt orangey swirly pendant lights. Olive walls (they are already), rich umbers and espresso browns...

Seduction of colors...that's how it starts.




8 comments:

ellen b. said...

Love the mug and the fabric you found!

joanne said...

the fabric is glorious! I love, love the colours.
I have made a vow to myself to not do any impulse buying for one month...gah, I need to stay away from Pier 1 and Jo-Anns!
is Spring finally here?

Linda O'Connell said...

The colors remind me of Tuscany, and plunks me right into the movie, Mama Mia.

Anonymous said...

Did you fall into a pile of money that I don't know about? Love Kelly

Debora said...

Thanks for the comments all...Jo-jo, we missed Spring, we're on to Summer now. Linda, I've been thinking Tuscany too-haven't seen Mama Mia, but I'm reminded of "Under the Tuscan Sun". Kelly (hubby) no, I didn't fall into a pile of money...I just know where you keep yours...so kitchen remodel, here we come. And shame on you for leading my blogger friends into thinking that I'm plotting this alone. We've discussed this soooo many times!

Linda O'Connell said...

Debora, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I laughed out loud about the skunk!

Anneliese said...

I laughed at the vision of you feeling like a beggar! You'd think that no one would even notice someone holding a mug any more.. but, you're right, they are usually not ceramic. I also love those colors.

Linda O'Connell said...

Debora,
Visit my blog to see your award. If you are too busy, I understand.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...