Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Monday, July 11, 2011

A Trip to Joe's Gardens

     I'm gonna try planting a fall/winter garden for the first time. Fall can be 'iffy' up here in the 4th corner. Sometimes we get glorious, sunny weather until mid October. Sometimes it rains from mid-September on. I researched the kinds of veggies that will tolerate our weather conditions, then my friend Adelia and I set out for Joe's Gardens. Joe's Gardens have been operation in our area since 1933, and their name is a standard in the best markets in our area. I figure if anybody knows how to grow fall crops in the Northwest, they will.
     We got some great advice, some beautiful, local produce and some very inexpensive starts.
I got broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, leeks, cabbage and basil...for just 25 cents per start! I didn't find  kale, and garlic yet, but I'll keep looking.
     After a great day of produce shopping, Adelia treated me to a Starbuck's hot chocolate with extra whipped cream.
     A day spend with a good friend, shopping local, and chocolate. That's as good as it gets!

Joe's is located in the beautiful Happy Valley/Fairhaven District of Bellingham.

My basket runneth over!

O
Local strawberries. I wasn't going to buy any, but the aroma got to me.

Rainer Cherries
R

Butter lettuce, can't get any fresher than this!

Oh the colors!


Cheerful zinnias

Sweet peas...the fragrance was divine!

This guy gave me the best advice on planting my garden. He's also a chef; and was giving this lady all kinds of tips for using fennel in her cooking. Sorry, you just can't get this kind of personal service down at the AM/PM!


2 comments:

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't been there since I was a young girl! I keep meaning to go... every summer.... the handful of items I don't grow from seed.. like onions, leeks and tomatoes all come from Joe's Gardens but by way of a local nursery or even our grocery store.

Since I'm on vacation next week... just puttering at home I think I will add Joe's Gardens to my must do! Thanks for reminding me of such a wonderful local spot!

~Chris

ellen b. said...

Well I'll have to put this one in my file of places to visit when I head north of the I-5! Looks and sounds like a great resource!
Love your new header!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...