Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Of Dads and doggies-- and a recipe

I took Kelly out for breakfast yesterday for Father's Day. Today was a rather quiet day. We went to church; they had a lovely tribute to dads. We've only attended this church for a few months and it feels so nice to have finally found the 'right' place to worship.

After church we visited our dads' graves. It's bittersweet...going to the cemetery on holidays. We spent some time sharing our favorite memories of our fathers. Kelly's dad once helped him carve a little wooden race car for Boy Scouts. They had a big race with the cars--Kelly and his Dad won the race. My favorite memory is of sitting on the riverbank on warm summer days, sipping orange soda and just watching the river run by. Dad put a bell on the end of my pole so that when I got a nibble, it would ring. When I wasn't looking he'd jerk the pole, causing my bell to jingle, then chuckle as I excitedly reeled my line in. Sweet, sweet memories.

I took the opportunity to stroll about the cemetery and take some photographs...




Then we took Baron to Sunset Pond for a swim. Oh my, how he enjoys swimming! It's so gratifying to see him do what he was born to do...swim and retrieve.


Things are all a-bloom around the pond.

 





Funny Baron! He looks like he's running with a stick of dynomite! (It's his new retrieving float toy.)

We ended our quiet day with a plate of home-made spaghetti and a slice of sourdough. (I got the marinara recipe off the internet and it is seriously the best sauce I've ever made! Recipe is below.) Baron is snoring away on his bed after his big day of swimming. Kelly is watching the US Open and I am all curled up in the easy chair. What a nice day!
***

Recipe for Old World Spaghetti Sauce

2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 1/2 cups water

Directions:

In a large stockpot on low-med heat add your olive oil and saute your onions for about 4 minutes,then add your crushed garlic,cook for 2 minutes longer. Then add your water,and tomato products. Be sure to mix everything very well.Add in your spices,and cheese. cook for 2 1/2 hours covered.Then add in your wine, and cook 30 minutes longer. Sauce will be thin on first day.Also if you use meat it will alter thickness.The second day this turns into a nice thick sauce.
***

6 comments:

joanne said...

sounds like one of those quiet summer Sundays! I love going to old cemeteries and looking at the stones. They all tell a story don't they. Beautiful photos...have a great week..;j

allisamazing said...

Sounds like a wonderful day and your sauce sounds delicious!

ellen b. said...

Sounds like a nice quiet day. We had a quiet one, too. The sauce sounds yummy!

Jack McCallum said...

I prefer quiet days - especially on Sunday.

PS. I'm going to try the recipe (minus the basil since I'm allergic).

trump said...

When I'm ever in a really old historic town and I'm passing by a cemetery, I will sometimes stop and look at some stones to see the age's. So for me its a very respectful experience and I sometimes wonder what some of those folks that have passed were like in our life. Richard

Anneliese said...

Love the photos of the flowers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...