Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Face of Lummi; Past, Present, Future





This post is dedicated to all of the beautiful, beautiful Lummi children that I work with every day. My fondest wish for you is that you learn from your elders and carry their wise words in your hearts. That you  learn all you can from your teachers. That you overcome every obstacle and walk toward you future with dignity and confidence...heads held high. 
 I carry each of you in my heart.





















 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


 

 
 






 
***

6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Such stunning and evocative faces (and hands), both young and old. Thank you.

Tammy said...

Wow! Beautiful images. You have such a talent!

Bookie said...

Lovely pictures and people! This is a new culture to me. The woven hats are unique...love the woven necklace with the rose!

Debora said...

The Lummi's are a Northwest Washington Native American tribe and part of the larger group of Salish Indians. Many, but not all reside on a nearby reservation along the western shores of our state. Many Lummi children attend the school I work in, so I've had the chance to learn about them and their culture. The woven hats are common among Northwest Natives...I suppose they were useful in keeping th rain off-and could have also served as containers when nwcessary.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

wow, thank you for capturing these moments! This is my family and I with my husbands family at our side! I think we should do something of this matter again :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...