Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Forest Wakens

We rose early this morning and went to the woods. Today was the first day in a long while that it wasn't damp and cold. Though I'm usually chilly in the forest, it was unusually warm for May so I tied my fleece about my waist and set about to find new things to photograph. I think hubby and Baron get a bit exasperated as they walk along and suddenly I am nowhere to be found; having stopped to take a picture every few yards. It's just so exciting to see something new and fresh...something more than mushrooms and fungi and fallen trees.

But today, oh my! The birds were chirping, the sun was warm on our backs, and the air carried a sweetness that speaks of fresh leaves, berry blossoms and cool, running water from the creek that meanders through the wood.

I don't know what this white blossom is. The leaves resemble wild geranium but the flower is different.
I just love how the sun comes through the canopy of leaves in the woods. Try as I may, I can never seem to photograph adequately how lovely it is to gaze up to the sky through a bower of maple leaves. I think if I were to repeat my wedding vows; it would be here. Quietly...simply.
These delicate pink blossoms are trillium; a protected species in many areas. It is so-named because it has 3 petals, 3 leaves, and 3 stamens. There is something holy about trillium. So simple, so delicate, so perfect in it's trinity. Father...Son...Spirit. It bears the signature of it's Maker in so many ways. Trilliums should not be picked because once the stem is broken, the entire plant dies. "I and the Father are One," said Jesus. How beautiful. One of the common names for trillium is Wake-Robin; because they bloom about the same time that the robins come out in spring.

These fern fronds are coming uncurled. New ferns seem rather snake-y to me. I find them beautiful and rather creepy at the same time.
When I was a little girl my big sister used to take me out into the woods back of our house where bleeding hearts grew in profusion. I loved to pick them and take bouquets to Mom.
Salmonberries all a-bloom the path along the creek. Soon the little finches will have a feast!

The forest is wakening. Summer is near!

1 comment:

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Lovely pictures! I didn't know that about trillium dying if its stem is broken, and I didn't know bleeding hearts grew in the wild, either.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...