Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Herbs


Growing herbs is such a pleasant, gentle thing to do. There's something very healing about the whole process. Today I harvested some chamomile, lemon  balm, Greek oregano, lavender, sweet marjoram, peppermint, spearmint, Italian parsley, and lemon thyme.  I originally hung them all on the clothesline in the sun. They looked so sweet, hanging all in a row by wooden clothespins. But as I pondered the process a bit, I realized that the cool and sometimes damp night air here in Western Washington might cause them to dampen and perhaps mold. So this evening I moved the whole operation to the guest bedroom. I strung line across the curtain rods and pinned my herbs to it. (If you read my earlier post regarding the drying of herbs, you'll know that I was avoiding this very situation; a little concerned that my family may think I'm getting a little bit daffy.) Whatever! The guest room smells wonderful, anyway! And to you seasoned herbalists...I know; some of these should really be dried on a wire mesh rack; but I don't own one yet. So we use what we have.

 




5 comments:

Susan said...

That's great you are harvesting your herbs! You have some good ones. Great job! Susan

Bookie said...

ummmm...I can almost smell your guest room! Nice pictures.....

ellen b. said...

That would be a fun room to fall upon...

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Yum, I can imagine how good your guest room smells. I grow herbs, too, but have never dried them. I should at least try drying some basil, huh? Yeah, I should do that. Thanks for the nudge!

Debora said...

Yes girls, the guest room does smell nice! And Susan, you really should dry some of your herbs. Especially with the prices of them in the market these days. Mine are going to be used in medicinal teas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...