Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Friday, August 30, 2013

The Power of Introverts...Finally, Someone Who Understands...

When I was five, Mother used a broom to 'sweep' me out from under the bed where I was hiding because I didn't want to play with 'Johnny so-and-so' whom I never met and did not wish to meet.
He was loud and boisterous and I just wanted to play quietly.

"You're So Shy!" she said with such exasperation in her voice that I knew, even at 5.. I knew that 'shy' was a bad, bad thing. A curse. Like having an ugly scar on your face that would never come off. I tried and tried to cover that 'scar', to mask my feelings of discomfort around loud, gregarious, even obnoxious people. Why was I so sensitive? I think I must have been in my forties before I learned that my 'scar' is a beautiful, exquisite gift.

 I love the line in this clip that says the people who talk the most don't always have the best ideas. But then, if you are an introvert...you were actually listening to those big talkers...and you figured that out all on your own.

This is my gift to you, my fellow introverts...
 

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Sadly, the video will not play for me.
As a fellow introvert I love your recognition that it isn't a disorder or a character flaw.
Listeners of the world unite. Quietly.

Anneliese said...

An interesting and encouraging video for those of us who feel bad for being shy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...