Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Beautiful. Useful. Simple.

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful,
or believe to be beautiful.” --William Morriss
 
 
I saw this photograph on Mother Earth Living's Facebook page of a simple basket placed by the front door with a pretty woven rug. The accompanying article was about how to eliminate allergic irritants. So much of the dirt and dust in our homes comes in on our shoes. So they suggested placing a basket by the door to hold shoes and slippers. The idea is that when you come home, you remove your shoes at the door and replace them with slippers.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-welless/allergens-indoor-allergies.aspx#axzz35lMBQbWv
 
Hubby and I have tried and tried to adopt this habit before, but I never liked having shoes lying around the doorway. This seems like a nice solution. So I rummaged through my closets and found an old picnic basket I inherited from my grandma. Then I trotted over to my favorite discount store and picked up a couple of new woven-rag rugs for the doorways. Rag rugs are a sentimental favorite to me. We always had rag rugs by the doors and in front of the kitchen sink when I was a little girl. They make me feel like home. 
 


 
 ***
 
 

5 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Oh yes, I remember those rag rugs. Our neighborhood has a huge Bosnian population, and it is their custom o leave their shoes outside. I'd be afraid a mouse would make a house in mine :)

Elephant's Child said...

Brilliant idea. And I love that your picnic basket has a lid - which I would keep closed on those shoes.

joanne said...

such a great idea, and basket love too! We have tried this a few times but never seem to keep up with it plus we have dogs and they don't seem to follow the same rules!

Bookie said...

I really like this idea and you found a wonderful basket to use. However, I fear people at my house would not abide by the new idea...and our dog would not cooperate at all! :)

Susan said...

Good ideas, Debora. I like the basket by the door and the rugs. Nice job!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, too. Susan

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...