Welcome friends...thanks for coming by. We're seeking beauty in all of creation... in our faith and our families; our art and our music; our crafts and kitchens, and even in our own backyard. We'll share a poem or a recipe, a picture or a memory; maybe a dream of how we wish our life could be. And though we acknowledge that the world can be harsh, we're keeping it pleasant in our little corner; endeavoring to keep the words from the Book of all Books: ...Whatsoever things are lovely; think on these things.

I so enjoy hearing from you...so leave me a comment; it'll make my day!

Photo: Bee and thistle: Taken high in the Cascade Mountains where there is a bee buzzing on every thistle. by Debora Rorvig

Friday, August 19, 2011

Alice's Handiwork

 
My neighbor Alice is amazing! Look at her beautiful handiwork!
She's a little camera shy...didn't want me to take a photo of her; so you'll have to guess what she's like by looking at her quilts and needlework.
 
 
 
I had the nicest afternoon looking at all of her quilting. This is just the tip of the iceberg. She says she's given away most of her best quilts.
 
 
 
 

Here's one of my favorites...such rich colors!  You'll find a clue about one of her interests in that purple star.
 
 
 
 

There's another clue about her in this quilt. Hint...she's not Dutch!
 
 
  
 
 
Some of her favorite types of fabric are used in the cheery wall hanging above. Can you guess what kind they are?

 
 
 
 When I saw this quilt, I commented that my sister is just crazy about the Dresden pattern. (The daisy-like block.)  She did the nicest thing...she gave me some Dresden quilt blocks that she had made; said to give them to my sister! That should tell you something about Alice! 

 
 
This quilt really appeals to the country-girl in me. It is soooo...folksy!
 
 

Here are some more blocks from the Dutch quilt.
 


Here's what you may have figured out about Alice from looking at her quilts...
 
  • She and her husband were avid boaters. Before moving to this area, she lived in a beautiful home overlooking the ocean. They spent many happy hours fishing, clamming, and crabbing.

  • When she moved into our little Dutch town she decided to make a quilt with a Dutch theme. She couldn't find any suitable patterns, so she actually designed the quilt herself. She is  resourceful, creative lady.

  • She loves Batik fabric, and uses it masterfully in many of her quilts.

  • Alice is as vibrant and colorful as her quilts.

  • When I asked if she'd entered any quilts in the Fair, she replied, "No, I'm not good enough." Geez! If these quilts aren't good, my little nine-patch quilts would be rags! How modest! If I'd made these beauties, I'd be showing them to everybody I know.

  • Alice is a wonderful neighbor; not just because she's a great quilter...she's a great lady! 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...